Thursday, March 17, 2011

Horses Continued.....

"No ride is ever the last one. No horse is ever the last one you will have. Somehow there will always be other horses, other places to ride them."

Boy does that say it.  If you have it in your blood you won't little an accident, spinal cord injury, or a foot that does not seem to cooperate get in the way of your dreams.  The prospect of not riding again was never a consideration for me.

The Dream Horse Continued - Wizard was amazing for me.  He developed my confidence and took total care of me.  We trail road all over Piece County, WA and then took off to other great spots.  We camped, we did it all.  To think when I got him I was not sure how to even secure the saddle??  I was a very novice horse person and that is good and bad.  I didn't know what I didn't know and boy did I take some risks.  I was lucky in some ways, but I definitely learned from every experience. 

Along with Wizard came several other horses.  Yes, I had to do the "baby thing" and along came "Enchante," a beautiful, well bred Quarter Horse filly (Appendix) who had enough Thoroughbred in her blood line to trace back to Bold Ruler, yup Secretariat's sire.  I got her as a baby, 4 months old and so began my journey with a young horse.  She was sweet and feisty and I was determined to do all the work with her and I did.

She became a project for me during a very tough time in my life and she was my therapy as I worked with her to get her under saddle.  I did everything from the ground with her and was the first person to get on her back.  I taught her to move off my legs and then got some help from a trainer "T" to get her started. 

When she was 3 years old we took her to a Quarter Horse show to show her at halter, which meant that I just had to go in and set her feet up so she stood correct and then have her judged on conformation.  She was perfect in many ways, not a big horse, but striking and very correct.  She won it all in her halter class - Grand Champion!  I still proudly display the trophy they sent me.  I was thrilled and I had the bug.  Not only did she do well in halter, but she won ribbons in riding classes also.  She was talented.

It was through this experience that I met "K&S" who has a stallion that I bred Enchante to shortly after she started her show career.  So began my journey to find the perfect "Paint Horse."  http://www.apha.com/breed/index.html  Yes, they may look like a Quarter Horse with different color patterns, but Paints are their own breed with very specific criteria that allows a horse to be registered as a Paint.  I was totally hooked and so began the beginning of what has brought me to where I am today, but that story deserves it's own post.












One of My First Rides on Enchante





No comments:

Post a Comment