Tuesday, February 15, 2011

January 29th - A day I will want to remember or forget

January's have not been kind to me for the past two years, usually they are a time for renewal, a new year, a fresh start, but for me and my family they have not been so kind.  In 2010 our house was robbed and all my jewelry along with our electronics and my computers were stolen.  In one random act we were left totally violated.  I won't forget it and I still morn the loss of items of jewelry I had collected for years.

January 29th will be a day that I either want to remember or forget.  It started normally enough - a Saturday riding lesson on a horse that I would be leasing for the show season.  He is a well trained horse, kind ,and has been around the show circuit.  I was excited to add some new classes to those I show in.  I would be doing my lesson with English tack.  A small leather saddle which allows real close contact with the horse.  I loved riding English style with the faster pace and more forward motion.  It suited me.  The day was normal and I was excited as I always am excited to be at the barn with the women I ride with, to take a lesson and learn something new.  The camaraderie and atmosphere is wonderful and I love my Saturday routine, barn and then errands.  I live for my hobby, it is my passion and it keeps me going.

What happen that day to set Casey off remains a mystery to me.  We had been going around the arena, my trainer made some tack adjustments to get my legs back further.  I took my coat off.  I really was just sitting there on Casey when something set him off, he got his head up and I tried to get it down, he leaped forward and just took off.  He got spooked by something. I tried to stop him, to grab his mane to have something to hang on to............. 

I knew I was going to fall off, there is nothing that you can do when the horse literally leaps out from under you when you are riding on an English saddle, no saddle horn like on a western saddle to grab. I fell off to the right, I broke the reins with my fall, I hit hard on my right hip and back side.  I felt something, it really did not hurt because it went numb, all the way down my legs.  I knew something in my body broke.  My back, my pelvis, something broke.............

1 comment:

  1. Nice writing! I'm happy to have a window seat on your journey and I'm looking forward to reading more...

    ReplyDelete